[mythtv-users] lirc help

Chris Martin council.tax at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 09:53:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm following jarod's guide (using FC5 rather then FC4) and am
currently struggling to get lirc to work.  I'm using a homebuilt
serial receiver.

The relevant lines in my modprobe.conf are:
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
 install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;\
     /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

running /sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial

gives the following lines in /var/log/messages
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0

which seems to imply everything is ok.  However running
/sbin/service/lircd start gives no 'oks' (and no error messages as far
as I can tell) and consequently /usr/bin/irw fails with the error
message 'connect: no such file or directory'.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?  Any help is much appreciated.

Chris