[mythtv-users] Mytharchive iso size

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Aug 27 18:42:48 UTC 2006

Austin Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been running MythTV for a few months now, and have filled up
> about 200 out of my ~300 gb of hard disk space. I decided to look into
> ways to archive my recordings. I finally got it installed, and then
> tried to create a DVD. I wanted to start with some movies I've
> recorded, that I might actually want to put in a DVD player. I grabbed
> a couple of movies and told it to transcode them and make an ISO out
> of it. I was under the impression from the mytharchive UI that I would
> have plenty of room on the DVD (I specified a standard, 4.7 gb disc,
> which is what I'm using).
>
> Five and a half hours later, my computer has finished creating the
> ISO, and it's about 300 mb too to put on a disc. Was this my mistake,
> trying to put too much video at too high of a resolution, or did
> Mytharchive think the files would fit?
>
> Thanks for any help on the subject.
>
> -Austin

Unfortunately the computed file sizes for files that are to be
re-encoded can only ever be an estimate, not least of all because ffmpeg
isn't guaranteed to produce files with the exact bitrate asked for, so
its always best to allow room for any errors.

If you have tcrequant installed (part of the transcode package)
mytharchive should use it to quickly requantize the video if it find all
the files wont fit onto the DVD.

Paul H.