[mythtv-users] Usage of --enable-proc-opt with Athlon64 on 32-bit system

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 21:16:14 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Firstly, should I expect any problems when using the configure option
> '--enable-proc-opt' when using an Athlon64 processor with a 32-bit
> Linux kernel?
> When I run configure on SVN (just checked with 10943) without
> explicitly giving the CPU type, the CPU was identified as 'x86
> (athlon)' with MMX support and not as an Athlon64. If I run with
> '--enable-proc-opt' should that provide extra optimisation during the
> compile but still only compile for a target Athlon CPU? When running
> the same configure options on a P4 CeleronD, configure reports CPU x86
> (model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz).
> On the A64 system, 'uname -m' gives 'i686', and 'uname -p' gives
> 'athlon'. On the P4-based system, both give 'i686'.
> What are the correct/most effective configure options to ensure that
> the build takes best advantage of the Athlon64 CPU on a 32-bit kernel?

I've been using --enable-proc-opt with my two Athlon64 systems, one
uses a 64bit kernel the other a 32bit kernel, with no problems. I
can't say whether it helps or hurts overall performance, though I
assume it does help.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -