[mythtv-users] Usage of --enable-proc-opt with Athlon64 on 32-bit system

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:08:39 UTC 2006

Firstly, should I expect any problems when using the configure option
'--enable-proc-opt' when using an Athlon64 processor with a 32-bit
Linux kernel?

When I run configure on SVN (just checked with 10943) without
explicitly giving the CPU type, the CPU was identified as 'x86
(athlon)' with MMX support and not as an Athlon64. If I run with
'--enable-proc-opt' should that provide extra optimisation during the
compile but still only compile for a target Athlon CPU? When running
the same configure options on a P4 CeleronD, configure reports CPU x86
(model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz).

On the A64 system, 'uname -m' gives 'i686', and 'uname -p' gives
'athlon'. On the P4-based system, both give 'i686'.

What are the correct/most effective configure options to ensure that
the build takes best advantage of the Athlon64 CPU on a 32-bit kernel?

Cheers,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: