[mythtv-users] network boot / boot speed (WAS: Re: diskless Mythtv USB)

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 16:23:39 UTC 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 16:05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Tim Phipps wrote:
> is it possible to essentially have a second install of, say, FC5 on the
> same machine so that each computer (frontend and backend) has a separate
>   root file system?  so they are completely separate installs w/o
> sharing any files (other than the myth media files, of course)

Yes, that's the recommended way. Sharing a root between a server and clients
is nice since you only have to maintain one system but updating/upgrading
programs will cause programs on the clients to die a horrible death
eventually. I don't know how you'd do it with FC5 but once you've got our
client root file system somewhere on the server you just have to add the path
to the client root to the config for the DHCP server:

  host orac {
    hardware ethernet <client MAC address>;
    fixed-address 192.168.0.8;
    filename "pxelinux.0";
    next-server <the tftp server name>;
    option root-path "<path to the client root>";
  }

Cheers,
Tim.