[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

George Roberts gr at gr5.org
Thu Aug 24 19:00:44 UTC 2006

>I have been able to tune to a channel using the dvb-apps and cat a
>stream into a file and play it perfectly with mplayer.  It seems that myth
>adds some overhead/optimizations that just push my PC beyond the limit.

What is your cpu usage when using mplayer to play HDTV?  Is your screen
resolution the same whether it is mplayer or myth front end or does your
computer have to stretch/shrink the resolution?  What if you
are using myth front end, hit the A key and then the left arrow key once or
twice?  Does that eliminate the pauses?  At what speed can your computer
keep up?

I play 1280X720 screen res 1080i HD no problem with a nVidia 5200 on
an Athlon 64 3200 cpu although myth uses typically 45% of the cpu and
350 MB ram.

- George Roberts