[mythtv-users] satellite receiver tuner card

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Aug 22 04:42:28 UTC 2006

> I'm a little confused as to what my TV can do that a TV card
> couldn't. I get HD programing over COAX/UHF via antenna.  Wouldn't
> the cable box transmit HD over COAX to the TV or the TV card?

No.  Cable/Satellite boxes transmit the already-decoded signal over
component (analog HD) or HDMI/DVI (digital HD) to the TV.

> If it used firewire or hdmi or composite or svideo, aren't there
> cards that accept those?  Is the encryption issue dealing with cable
> cards?  I take it those are hard to come by for a PC?

Firewire to mythtv works great (I use it with my comcast digital cable
setup).  You might be able to get a satellite box with firewire from
169time.com, but it's expensive (I'm assuming that it's legal since
they're still in business).  composite and svideo are not HD, and an
HDMI-enabled encoder would take WAY more processor power than you can
afford (there are a couple of HD encoder cards out there that range in
the 4-5 figure price range)

> I take it IR Blaster is either directly supported by mythtv, or is
> easy enough using something like lirc and the mythtv channel change
> command option?

commandline script that mythtv calls.  I used exactly that setup (dish
-> svideo -> pvr-150) for a couple of years before switching to comcast
and firewire.  google "losdos mythtv" for some info.

-Chris