[mythtv-users] Front endsetup

Harry Lipkind hil at hiltech.com
Mon Aug 21 15:28:49 UTC 2006

Hi

HELP Please!

I am trying to setup a mythtv front end to talk to a backend.  My two
systems are both running SuSE Linux, are on the same network segment
(192.168.2.xx) and can ping each other.

My Myth backend machine can talk to the frontend that is on the same
system.  The frontend on the 2nd machine cannot connect - when I try the
command mythfrontend a lot of error messages scroll and I get the error
message that myth could not connect to mysql.  When I try to bring up
the remote machine front end (10 feet from backend)I do not have the
front end of the host running - just the backend.

I have a specific IP address in the mythtv configuration screen and it
is correct (matches the IP address from ifconfig).   The documentation
on installing and using MythTV is written for Debian type access, not
RPM.  The two lines in the documentation:

	sudo apt-get build-dep mythtv

	sudo apt-get install libqt3c102-mysql

unfortunately don't mean much to me.  I suspect the 1st line is to build
Mythtv and what is to be the host box.  That I did.  The 2nd line I
think references a libqt3c102 module - but I don't know what it is or
what to do with it if I had it.

All assistance appreciated.

TIA

Harry