[mythtv-users] iMon IR Receiver useable with other remotes?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:22:06 UTC 2006

On 8/20/06, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Does anyone know if the iMon receiver (in an Silverstone LC11M case) can be
> used with other remotes. The reason is I *hate* the iMon PAD remote, the
> mouse thing is just annoying and hard to use, and often transmits signals
> without any touch of the remote.
>
> I've tried training other remotes using irrecord (which works), however when
> using the remote the buttons I press come out wrong / random. Looking at the
> lircd.conf created, the trained keys are random, and lots of the keys come
> out with the same codes.
>
> Using premade remote configs from the Lirc website just don't work. In all,
> I've tried an LG remote, an xbox 360 media remote (the smaller one), a sky
> remote, a DViCO Fusion remote, and an xbox 1 remote. All come out with the
> same problem.
>
>  So, has anyone had any success using other remotes (other than an imon
> remote) with the iMon IR receiver.

I spent a couple of hours trying to teach a MX-500 the commands from
the iMON PAD remote, with mixes results.  Some of the keys I got to
work okay, others not at all.  I could never get the keys to "repeat"
correctly -- even the ones that worked okay.  This was all on a
Silverstone LC16M that I talked a friend into buying.

I complained to Silverstone, and they acknowledged the problem.  They
have told me that this fall they will start shipping cases with a
different IR system, to alleviate this problem.  They hope to start
shipping the new version by October.

My current frontend is in an old, ugly desktop ATX case.  While it is
a bit ugly, it is virtually silent.  I have considered buying a LC16M
for myself, but am a little concerned with it's noise.  It's case fans
would definitely need undervolted to be quiet enough.

>  Thanks in advance, James
>
>  As a side question, lots of the remotes mention "RC6" standard or
> something, what is this?

RC5 is a "standard" which Phillips came up with for the IR remote
control protocol.  I am pretty sure that RC6 is an updated version of
that.  *ANY* universal remote should be able to learn RC5/RC6 codes
with easy.  The iMON PAD remote uses a proprietary protocol which
gives universal remotes fits.

If you have not done so already, check out remotecentral:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Their forums can be a wealth of information about anything dealing
with remote controls.

John