[mythtv-users] which NVIDIA video card do I need

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at me.vt.edu
Wed Aug 16 22:34:53 UTC 2006

> I'm running a combined frontend/backend On Fedora Core 3 with a P3-800
> 384MB RAM. I'm currently using a PVR350 for all output, but would like
> to switch to an Nvidia card to better support DVD, mythgame and
> mythvideo, along with the upcoming OpenGL changes.
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) Which Nvidia card would be the minimum I would need to have smooth playback?
> 2) Does it make a difference which manufacturer's card I purchase? For
> example is eVGA ok?

	For standard-def, I've used anything from an ATI Mach64 to an
NVidia GF2-MX440, to an FX5200 on a PIII-800.  The important thing (for
SD) is Xv, which both of those do.

	For extra-fancy stuff that is arguably useless with SD (bob
deinterlace), the P3-800 will be lacking.  Only if you want HD and
de-facto requirement of XvMC will you need an FX5200 or more.  Of course
the machine is too slow for that anyway...

-Cory