[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR-250 vs 350

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:42:23 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:14 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > >
> > > Not true, NTSC closed captioning isn't working with the 150 and the
> > > 250 creates a higher quality capture. The capture quality is improving
> > > with the 150/500 cards and someday the ivtv driver might support
> > > caption embedding on the 150/500, but for now 250 is the way to go
> > > if you want captions or want the best quality analog capture.
> >
> > ivtv's done CC embedding on the 150/500 for a while now.
>
> In an SVN revision? I know there was a patch available in April,
> but I didn't think it made it into 7.0 (not in changelog), and
> last I checked (a couple weeks ago) captioning was not yet working
> with the new API..
>
> I'm using the in kernel ivtv drivers here and the quality of the
> PVR-500 recordings has increased immensely, but there are still
> way too many denoising artifacts. It sort of looks like an often
> played video tape recorded in ELP mode.

internal or external tuner? I find that my 150 with an external cable
box (even over composite) looks darn good. I just wish Myth had a real
scaler so I could go from 720x480 to 1920x1080 without using Xv's poor
scaler (which bmayland spoke about  last may, though I haven't seen
anything come of this, and would love to have it as an option for at
least SD/DVD->720p/1080).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!