[mythtv-users] Can't solve a problem with Skipping/Fast Forwarding

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Aug 16 14:02:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:30:36AM +0100, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> I think I have checked NTP but to be honest I've not found out how to
> conclusively check that it is working.

First of all, are you running ntpd (the full ntp client/server
daemon) or ntpdate (the one-shot time correction tool)?

The ntpdate package is usually installed to run only once at system
boot.  If you want to use it to keep your system up to date then
you'll need to have a cron job that runs ntpdate every hour or so.

If you have both ntpdate and ntpd installed then ntpdate won't do
anything (it detects ntpd is running and exits without making
changes).

The ntpd daemon normally logs to the syslog facility, which means
that its output can be tossed if syslog thinks the messages are
unimportant.  You can specify a log file in /etc/ntp.conf and the
daemon will tell you what it's doing.

> I have configured my DHCP server to provide the details of an NTP
> server and from my reading of the minimyth documentation it should
> bomb out with an error if there is a problem with it.

What should bomb out?  The DHCP server?  The DHCP client?  The
ntpd/ntpdate program?  Myth?

Are you sure that the DHCP client on your myth box is even capable
of reading the ntp information from the lease?  You could (and
probably should) consider bypassing any DHCP and local ntp server
issues by specifying a time server in the ntp config file and
allowing it to reach out to a known-good server on the internet.
You can worry about peering to your local network later once you've
got a client that is known to be working.