[mythtv-users] XM Radio

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 20:07:38 UTC 2006

> I'm still kicking around the idea of putting a computer in my
> truck and using Myth to be the front end for it. I was
> originally thinking to incorporate myth into it, but myth has
> almost all the features I'd want anyways, and I like the
> interface so I'd rather just add GPS and XM radio to it.
> Maybe ODB as well but most importantly is videos and music.
>
> I've been doing alot of googling and there is the xm pcr that
> is supposed to be a hot item. Is anyone using this with myth?
> I could care less about recording radio at this point, I'm
> more interested in wife friendly as she normally drives our
> family vehicle and I am already getting an earache just
> thinking about replacing the radio with a computer.
>
> If XM isn't an option (I don't really want XM, I'm more
> interested in ease of use for her) is FM available yet
> through a tuner card or something?
>
> I'm basically thinking of something just to get some sort of
> radio functionality before I begin this project.
>
> Ripping all the CD's is an option and just using mythmusic if
> nothing is available, but I'm curious if anyone is moving
> forward with something like this as I did see several posts
> in the archives where people are doing this or at least
> wanting to as well.
>
> My idea is to have the XM PCR integrated into myth (I know
> they are unavailable but they seem like the best option). I'd
> run something like MS Streets and Trips through Wine since
> there isn't a native Linux GPS app that's good. The ODBII
> isn't interesting yet, but that could change. Mythmusic is a
> priority, but it's already there. Mythvideo is a priority,
> and it's there as well. I would have this unit be it's own
> BE/FE for this job and I would copy ripped dvd's to it via
> wifi when the truck is home. Basically Baby Einstein for the
> toddler and the baby on the way.
>
> Anyways, just wanted to kick this one up again. I'm also
> interested in hardware for this, but I'd like to have a touch
> screen up front, and a viewing screen in the back of each
> seatrest for the kiddies in the back. I think the viewing
> screens for the back could / should be svideo and xine coule
> play to them?

Personally I think its a horrible idea. Hard drives and cars do not mix
well. Your WAF is going to go down significantly unless you want to engineer
and install a interface that can  SAFELY be used by someone who is trying to
drive and keep kids under control. If you have to look away from the road to
operate it, the design is no good.

Also you may find that your alterations  will give your insurance company a
way out of paying any claims if you get into an accident. They will use any
excuse to not pay a claim, just ask the Katrina survivors how they feel
about insurance companies.