[mythtv-users] De-interlacing. Work well?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Tue Aug 15 19:21:21 UTC 2006

> I am wondering if many people use this feature in Myth and what the
> feedback is.
>
> I have two front ends. AMD 3400 and a Celeron 2.4.   Both with built
> in NVidia. One into an LCD TV and one into an LCD projector.

I use Bob 2x, and when it works, it looks absolutely fantastic!
Especially nice looking are US Open tennis (starting soon!) and late
night talk shows (Letterman / CBS uses the full 20 mhz bandwidth and
is the best looking).

However, it can be a PITA to get going.  Things that burned me are:

1) Make sure you have enough CPU for Bob 2x.  For whatever reason,
deinterlacing would skip frames noticeably when I had a 3500+.  When I
put in an x2 3800 (super cheap these days), it started working
perfectly.  Others have claimed that they didn't have any problems
with slower CPUs, but I tried both a P4 3.2 GHz and an AMD 3500+ with
similar unacceptable results.  X and myth are both using a lot of cpu,
so a dual core is ideal for this application.

2) The frame rate of the modeline you use has to be > 59.94 or it will
disable the 2x deinterlacing.  You can start mythfrontend with extra
logging if you suspect this is a problem.

Good luck,
Mark