[mythtv-users] Persistant Hanging

M@ msheppard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:51:52 UTC 2006

Message: 16
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:55:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Stuart Larson" <halcyon at obfus.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Persistant Hanging
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Stuart Said:
>For #1 - are you seeing any overheating at all with the system. > Have you
run a memory tester like memtest86?  Are there any >scheduled tasks that are
running at this time that may correlate >to the lockup?

Stuart: Thanks for the help - I think that might be the problem, but I have
a question on memtest86 - do I run it with my current memory size as the
test size or the full swap size?

The system had 768meg (256meg + 512meg) and when I ran "memtest 1G" it would
freeze right away.  I took out the 256meg memory and the "memtest 1G" still
hangs right away, but the system has been stable now for over 24hrs.  So I
suspect the 256meg chip, but am not sure how to use memtest to test it.

The memtest website isn't helping, so the quick question is - how should I
use memtest86? - What kind of results should I expect?

M@