[mythtv-users] LVM Problem -- Please Help

Tom+Dale tdmyth at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 18:45:04 UTC 2006

Greetings all.  I am hoping that you can, once again, help me out.  Thanks for all previous assistance.  :-)

This weekend, I added a new SATA drive to my Myth backend.  It appeared to add into the volume group without any problem, though I did not get it to the point where the space was accessible.  I planned to further research that problem; however, before I solved that one, I inadvertently created a new problem.  The new drive was designated as /dev/sda.

I was suspicious about the new drive because it was clicking loudly, so I shut down cleanly and disconnected it.  Yes, I then rebooted without the SATA drive connected thereby "breaking" my volume group.  I did not know that when I re-connected and booted up again, the volume group would remain broken.

The system reports a missing physical volume of UUID ### and then reports an unknown physical volume with the same UUID.  I have spent 5 hours trying to recover this.  It seems as though the tools / commands are there, but I don't know how to do it (or something else is wrong).  I am hoping that someone can give me a suggestion on how to re-link the UUID for the SATA drive to the volume group.  Thanks, in advance!  Here are some details:

[root at mythserver ~]# pvdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hda5
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               66.12 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              16926
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          16926
  PV UUID               317l2C-oay1-TWFG-5NTX-XJS3-vLal-Xh5bBL

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hdb
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               298.09 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              76311
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          76311
  PV UUID               nfLxS1-0u3t-5Zr9-57iu-1oZe-Bkkd-75SERQ

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               unknown device
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               232.88 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              59617
  Free PE               225
  Allocated PE          59392
  PV UUID               fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv

[root at mythserver ~]# vgdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00.
  Volume group "VolGroup00" doesn't exist

[root at mythserver ~]# pvcreate -u fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv /dev/sda
  Device /dev/sda not found.

[root at mythserver ~]# vgcfgrestore -tnVolGroup00 /dev/VolGroup00
  Test mode: Metadata will NOT be updated.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00.
  Restore failed.