[mythtv-users] Alsa SPDIF NForce4

Timothy Bish tabish at twcny.rr.com
Sun Aug 13 23:49:13 UTC 2006

Need a little help getting ALSA to output everything to SPDIF, currently I
get nothing.

I have seen this asked and have asked myself a couple of time, but so far I
have not been able to get the SPDIF to output anything to my receiver.  I've
trued numerous asound.state, and asoundrc files that I've found that are
supposed to make it work, no luck.  The ones at Wilsonnet don't do anything
for me.

I get errors like this when I try to play with most of the asound files I've
tried.

[mythtv at HTPC ~]$ aplay -Dplug:spdif fishcakes.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition
'cards.NFORCE.pcm.iec958.2:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:3492:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned
error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3961:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such file or directory
[mythtv at HTPC ~]$ aplay -D hw:0,0 fishcakes.wav

With the defaults I can do this an not get any errors, but no sound.

~]$ aplay -D plughw:0,2 fishcakes.wav
Playing WAVE 'fishcakes.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo

I just replaced my defective Asus A8N5X with a Gigabyte K8NF-9, but am not
having any better luck with the ALSA stuff on that MB either.  Everything
else is working nicely; I just need sound to work.

Short of getting this to work is there any cheap PCI soundcard that just
works, no twiddling with the asoundrc files.  I want to send all sound out
over the SPDIF, to me denon receiver, so I don't need anything fancy.

Someone please help me I really want to start enjoying my HTPC.