[mythtv-users] uPnP capabilities

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Sun Aug 13 22:34:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:22:53 -0400, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

>> I know there is some work on uPnP but as I understood the little I did
>> scratch
>> from the internet it's server capabilities that will be included, isn't
>> it.
>> Will there be client capabilities?
>
>  I belive that one of the upnp goals is to ultimately have the frontends
> detect the backends/media sources automatically, so I would expect that
> eventually it will happen.

There is also talk of using Bonjour. It is much simpler than upnp, doesn't
have the redtape for registration, etc., and is opensource.

For testing purposes, you can publish, for instance, an Apache server very
easily:

dell ~ 18:29 john $ mDNSPublish "My Apache Server" _http._tcp 80
My Apache Server _http._tcp 80
publish reply: Started

To check the published service from another computer:

imac:~ johnjohnson$ mDNSBrowse _http._tcp
browse reply: Add Service 0x0 My Apache Server _http._tcp. local.
browse reply: Add Service 0x0 Dell _http._tcp. local.
resolve reply: 0x0 My Apache Server _http._tcp. local. 10.11.10.199 80
browse reply: Add Service 0x0 Trac Projects _http._tcp. local.
resolve reply: 0x0 Trac Projects _http._tcp. local. 10.11.10.199 82

http://avahi.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf

Regards,
   JJ