[mythtv-users] Why are all my recordings expired almostimmediately? (v0.19)

Mark Hetherington redcane at redcane.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 10 21:33:22 UTC 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 17:45, Gert-Jan Bilt, van de wrote:
> Indeed I am using ext3 on a Mandriva 2006 box. If I look at the partition

> So it seems that both Mythfrontend and df are more or less in agreement.
> Also when I start the backend it shows the following in the log file:
> 2006-08-10 09:41:38.161 AutoExpire: Required Free Space: 3.1 GB w/freq: 10
> min

That means it checks every ten minutes, and if there is not 3.1GB free (the
amount you have specified is required) it will free up space (by deleting
recordings). As I recall the amount of free space required is set in
mythtv-setup, and if you aren't using the disk for anything else you can set
it quite low.

> And also this response does not really answer the question I have: How does
> MythTV v0.19 decide when to delete files. What are the space calculation
> rules? Can anybody explain these rules? And then the logical next step: How
> can one influence these rules?

Setting no-auto-expire means myth will never prioritise that recording to be
deleting in preference to any other. If it's the only recording, and you've
specified you require more free space, I believe it will still delete it

> I did find out that MythTV also deletes a recording which is specifically
> marked "no auto-expire", which I set because I really wanted to keep it.
>
> Oh, and what is this "root reservation" thingie?

on ext2/3 by default there are 5% of inodes reserved for the superuser. You
can adjust this using a tool called "tune2fs". This feature is designed to
allow the superuser to still work on the system if it has been filled up by
log files or what not. It also allows you to start x-windows etc when you had
otherwise filled the disk.

Mark