[mythtv-users] Fix for distorted image on CRT TV

Mark Hetherington redcane at redcane.homelinux.org
Tue Aug 8 21:32:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 05:28, Cool Frood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a standard CRT TV (Philips 20" flat screen) which I'm using
> with an NVidia FX5200 using an S-Video TV-out.  The problem that I
> face is that the image on the screen is somewhat distorted, with the
> top of the image being narrower than the bottom.  Also, the image is
> very slightly tilted clockwise.  I also noticed that the curving of
> the image at the top becomes more pronounced when the screen is
> showing brighter colours?  Is this to be expected, or is there
> something I can do to fix it?  It's not very annoying, but I'd really
> like to get an image quality close to what I can get by directly
> hooking up the cable box to the TV.

I've always thought the Nvidia TV-out was pretty good. Have you tried using a
different input on the TV, or plugging in another SVideo device to determine
if it is the TV or the video card?
If it is definitely the nvidia card the only thing I can think of is tweaking
the overscan and gamma to reduce the visibility of the problem in some way,
but I don't think it would be possible to get rid of the problem except by
getting a card with a better TV-out.