[mythtv-users] Script for feedback click

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Tue Aug 8 10:22:11 UTC 2006

All,

In case it's useful, I wrote a small script (attached) which plays a (short)
sound sample with every button press in the Myth menus. As it stands, it only
plays via ALSA, and you must have the network control capability in place.

Unfortunately, as others have noted, you can't just stick a generic "play
<sound>.wav" command into the "Keypress Application" under Setup->General,
since that interferes with the availability of the sound device while playing
Live/Recorded TV and videos.

Also, I noticed that if vlc/xine/mplayer is playing a video, the clicks buffer
up until MythTV is back on screen (this wouldn't happen with the internal
video player), so a little check ensures that it does nothing if
xine/mplayer/vlc is running.

Primitive, but it works for me. Stick it in /usr/local/bin, and have Keypress
Application set to "/usr/local/bin/mythclick /path/to/sound/sample.wav".
Makes life a little more like TiVo days.

Cheers,

Neil