[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound :(

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 16:37:09 UTC 2006

Eric Ladner wrote:
> Well, that certianly is a strange one, and I loved the response John
> gave, but I'll give you another strang one...
>
> Every time there's an electrical load on the curcuit that my living
> room A/V setup is plugged into (Myth box included), there is a half
> second of silence.
>
> At first I thought it was the surges causing it.  Every time the
> airconditioner kicked on, or the microwave was turned on (or even
> closed), there would be the half second of slience from the myth box.
> So..  I bought a line conditioner and EVERYTHING A/V related goes
> through it.  Even the plugs for the wireless mouse and the
> VGA->Component converter.  NOTHING is plugged into the wall on the A/V
> gear, TV included.
>
> Still the problem occurs.
>
> The only thing I can think of is some kind of electromagnetic
> interference.  The sound is run from the Myth box via SPDIF (RCA
> cable, not optical).  When the surge (or whatever) occurs, the
> reciever (Kenwood VR-something) input indicator switches from coaxial
> digital to something else for a half second causing the brief mute.
>
> Still haven't figured out what's causing that, though.

that doesn't sound like a surge, but not enough current and a voltage
drop. When your compressor kicks in, it's demanding more and so other
components that rely on electricity in your home are receiving less at
that moment. A surge protector wouldn't help (except maybe when it comes
back up it might go over the threshold.) I can only guess that whatever
your SPDIF is connected to (one or the other side) is receiving less and
so the amp is thinking that the SPDIF connector is not there, thus
muting it. Then, when all is well (a second later) the amp detects the
SPDIF connector and all is well.

You should have your service checked, because it shouldn't do that!

--
brad fuller
sonaural: www.sonaural.com