[mythtv-users] Got smooth playback? please post your setup & configuratio

Julian Edwards myth at julian-edwards.com
Mon Aug 7 13:08:46 UTC 2006

James,

Please trim your replies, as per list etiquette.

James Buckley wrote:
> I will have to create a modeline that gives exatly 50Hz, as my TV only
> broadcasts 'Monitor' range values through EDID (as the DVI port is
> designed for a PC). This makes it difficult to get exatly 50Hz, as
> most calculation software/websites round the number to 2dp.

I think starting X with logverbose 5 tells you what EDID modes it gets
from the TV.  Anyway, specifying VertRefresh as I said will ensure
others are ignored.

> - what does "OpenGL vsync" do?
It allows for precise timing of the vertical refresh.  It's much better
than trying to use the other methods, although people have reported
issues with the nvidia drivers which haven't affected me.
> - should I try and get XvMC working?

Not necessary really for standard def TV.  I don't use it.

> - I remember someone saying to turn of OpenGL Vsync when using BOB, is
> this true?

That's one of the issues with the nvidia drivers, so try it and see.

I personally use kerneldeint as the OSD jitter is very annoying for me.

> Thanks in advance

No sweat :)