[mythtv-users] No sound after upgrade to FC5

Dave mythtv at schooler.net
Mon Aug 7 02:31:12 UTC 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> you're in the right place. If ALSA if compiled in (it's default in
>>> ATrpms rpm packages) then  ALSA:default should be there.
>>> Perhaps the alsa compile option was unchecked?
>>>
>> Hello again, Brad.
>>
>> Now you've really lost me.  "compiled in" to what?  "alsasound" seems to
>> be running (although there's no alsa in "ps -efa"), but I don't know
>> anything about it beyond that:
>>
>> [root at dave init.d]# service alsasound status
>> ALSA sound driver loaded.
>> [root at dave init.d]#
>>
>> As far as I remember, I've compiled nothing.  I just used yum to install
>> everything on this box, including mythtv.
>>
> I'm referring to the compile switch for mythtv. But, it doesn't matter.
> If you have installed it from yum, then you've installed a package that
> someone else has already created for you. I assume you got it from the
> ATrpm repo, yes?
>
> Why I mentioned that was because it appears, w/o any digging, that ALSA
> is running. It's the default in FC5 and since you can aplay something,
> and you say it's running, then it probably is. And, since ALSA:default
> was not a selection for audio, that indicates that ALSA is either not
> compiled in, or ALSA is not available in your setup.
>
> I think first you have to find out why "ALSA: default" is not a
> selection. I don't know why, it is on mine since FC2.  Hmmm... Do you
> have live TV sound? BTW: did you install using Jarod's guide?

I really do appreciate your time, Brad.

I don't know which repository I installed mythtv from.  "yum info
mythtv" just says that it's installed:

Version: 0.19
Release: 130.fc5.at
Size   : 1.5 M
Repo   : installed

The repos I have set up for yum are "atrpms", "core", "livna",
"updates", "freshrpms", and "extras".

I do _not_ have tv sound in either mythtv or tvtime on FC5, but I do
have sound in both when I boot up FC4.  "ALSA:default" is not a choice
in either OS in the mythtv settings - the four dropdown choices are the
same in both.

I don't think I've ever run across anything called "Jarod's guide".