[mythtv-users] Scheduling: prefer input

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 18:22:09 UTC 2006

On 8/6/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> says:
> > In the thread where we were discussing scheduling of pre/post
> > padding and how it would influence tuner selection,
>
> A thread I've done best to ignore, mind you. I don't know what it is
> about pre/postroll (terms that I dislike; see
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196516#196516>)
> that has caused no less than *three* invective-filled threads since I
> started reading this list eight months ago. Crrr-a-zy. I expect that
> one of these days we'll see a thread that combines discussion of
> pre/postroll and 0.19's Live TV behavior; the result will surely
> "crack the Internet right in half. I think that'll be it for the
> Internet."
>
> > Michael T. Dean said "If all your inputs have the same specified
> > priority, the lowest-numbered input wins the tie."
> > <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/215475#215475>
> > That would suggest that you should be seeing "always #1 unless it's
> > being used" in your case.
>
> Which even *further* deepens the mystery!
>
> I disagree with Michael's next sentence, by the way:
>
>     If we randomly shuffle around capture cards, we might get the
>     high-priority movie recorded on a BTTV card and the episodes of a
>     medium-priority show recorded on a high-definition card.
>
> I *do* agree with the sentence after that:
>
>     Myth shouldn't be making this decision--the user should do so by
>     rearranging priorities (possibly with a recording override for the
>     show).
>
> In Michael's scenario, wouldn't the high-definition card have a higher
> priority? If not, why not? And, conversely, in my case, since I have
> two cable boxes that are in every way identical, I'd not be surprised
> by random shuffling (which I saw, or think I saw, for the first few
> months of my MythTV experience). In other words I don't see anything
> wrong with randomly shuffling, or "lowest-numbered tuner first," or
> "highest tuner first," assuming equal priorities.

Everything else being equal, Myth absolutely selects the capturecard
to use based on it's ID.  A year ago, I went into mysql and
re-numbered my card IDs to achieve this:

1 - DVB on master backend
2 - DVB on slave backend
3 - DVB on master backend
4 - DVB on slave backend

Ever since then, I get pretty balanced useage of the two backends when
more than one show at a time is being recorded.  If only one show
needs recorded, then the master always gets it, but that is fine,
since that is where most of my storage is.

If more than one show is recording at the same time, the show with the
highest priority will always end up on cardid 1.

Those shows do not have to start at the same time -- they just have to
overlap for even a second.  This can cause it to apear like cardid 2
is being used in preference to cardid 1, but it is not.

John