[mythtv-users] Knoppmyth and more packages

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Thu Aug 3 00:12:29 UTC 2006

I have knoppmyth (latest) installed. Although I know how to apt-get
update and apt-get install, I am not as familiar with debian's packaging
system as i would like to be.

when I run apt-get update in the standard, unchanged, knoppmyth it
shows:

nick at media:~$ sudo apt-get update
Password:
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Done

But it is all over in a flash, there appear to be no updates. Is this
because it is tracking only stable?

I'd like to add some other repositories and install some stuff like
slimserver from testing.. Will this screw up my (nicely working) mythtv?

As nothing every seems to change as a result of apt-get update, how will
knoppmyth or any other packages ever get updated? Or is this
"stability|lockdown" a "feature" of knoppmyth.

Nick, curious, and scared of screwing up a beautiful thing.

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>