[mythtv-users] USA: northern Virginia: anyone using QAM with Comcast?

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Sat Aug 5 20:03:01 UTC 2006

Is anyone here using QAM to receive programming from Comcast in northern
Virginia, especially Alexandria? I've seen the QAM layout at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout#Reston.2C_VA_-_Comcast_.28Basic_Cable_Service_-_No_Digital.2FHD_Service.29
but it doesn't match what I've found recently.

Back in March I first tried to find channels with QAM
  http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#qamscan
and found about 15-20 channels. At the time I only had one ATSC/QAM
tuner card and valued the channels I could get over the air more than
those I found with the QAM scan.

I've added a 2nd ATSC/QAM tuner card. Scanning again now (months later),
I find not only fewer channels, not only different channels (e.g.
Discovery HD is gone, but I have some MHz channels), but some of the
channels that are still on the Comcast QAM feed (most notably the PBS HD
channels that I can't tune over the air) have been moved to different
frequencies. The *only* channel that's still there and has not changed
frequencies (or program IDs) is the ABC affiliate's boring HD weather
channel. (Comcast doesn't transmit the main ABC HD programming via QAM,
only the affilate's ".2" weather channel.)

It certainly looks like Comcast is conspiring to make me pay for a
digital cable set top box and resort to the Firewire interface for
getting HD programming to the MythTV system -- is anyone here having
better luck with QAM with Comcast Virginia?

-Peter