[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Tue Aug 1 17:09:23 UTC 2006

>> The max possible rate for ATSC is 20Mbps. Dual tuners = 40Mbps.
>>
>> If you want to build the ultimate MythTV box and run say four HDHomeRun
>> units (8 tuners = 160Mbps), then you will need a gigabit switch... each
>> of the HDHomeRun units privodes 40Mbps and the switch will push it out
>> to the PC using gigabit speeds.
>>

> 100Base-T in full-duplex has max rate of 200Mbps, which would still
> suffice...providing the NIC and the switch are good enough to keep up.

Sort of.

100baseTX in full-duplex mode has a max transmit rate of 100Mbps and a
max receive rate of 100Mbps, and is capable of both at the same time.

If all the data is in one direction then you have a 100Mbps limit.

>  I've not seen many NICs that can't handle 200Mbps, but I've seen
> plenty of 100Base-T switches that can't sustain switching packets at
> that rate.

BTW - The cpu+phy used in the HDHomeRun when programmed as a router can
do NAT translation at 100baseTX line speed :-)

Nick