[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 16:43:37 UTC 2006

On 8/1/06, jafa <hdtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> The max possible rate for ATSC is 20Mbps. Dual tuners = 40Mbps.
>
> If you want to build the ultimate MythTV box and run say four HDHomeRun
> units (8 tuners = 160Mbps), then you will need a gigabit switch... each
> of the HDHomeRun units privodes 40Mbps and the switch will push it out
> to the PC using gigabit speeds.

100Base-T in full-duplex has max rate of 200Mbps, which would still
suffice...providing the NIC and the switch are good enough to keep up.
 I've not seen many NICs that can't handle 200Mbps, but I've seen
plenty of 100Base-T switches that can't sustain switching packets at
that rate.

Although, your PCI bus might get saturated.  Not sure what the limits
are there and don't feel like googling it right now.

-Aaron