[mythtv-users] best mythtv distro?

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Tue Apr 18 23:48:42 UTC 2006

Timothy Waters wrote:
> What distro do you all think is the best for running MythTV on? Yes, I know
> it's usually not the distro but the geek that makes the difference, well, in
> some cases maybe so, however in others that's just rubbish. So, again: what
> is the best distro for running MythTV on? Here is the box it's going to stay
> running on:
> AMD Athlon 2100XP 1.67Ghz
> 256MB RAM
> 20GB & 80GB HDD
> DVD+/-RW + DL
>

> --
> Timothy Waters
> timothy.waters at gmail.com
> http://www.e-Waters.org
> 205-587-9001

Its hard to say really. You have to decide what is the best for you. If
your going for the 'easiest'. I guess it depends on what you already
know. Like if you know gentoo then emerging mythtv from there might be
'easiest'. Or if you already know redhat/fedora then that with
wilson.net might be easiest. If you only have a passing familiarity with
linux or you know nothing at all. Then you want knoppmyth. But if your
like me, none of them really suites your fancy. My backend was based on
Debian Sarge but have since spawned into my own little MythTV centric
creation since then. Hardly anything important on it is 'sarge' anymore.
Everything was built up by hand and it does exactly what I want it to do
at a very minimal install for my PVR-500, PVR-350 and HD-3000. Frontends
on the otherhand I'm less picky about. Those are all still 'sarge' for
the most part. So 'Debian' is easiest and the best distro for me which
is certainly not the best or easiest for everybody. Its hard to say what
you think will be the best.

Generally I tell people to go grab knoppmyth after they see mine and
want to have it like a kid in a candy store wants chocolate.

-Mike