[mythtv-users] Sound issue - Onboard card as 2nd soundcard

Yalusa Jongihlati yjongihlati at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 17:34:30 UTC 2006

So I also tried the following as a normal user:

# aplay /dev/dsp1
Playing raw data '/dev/dsp1' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

I could hear the sound from the TV feed. And it had a slight delay (which is
what I gather should happen). Interstingly the sound played through the
speakers connected to soundcard0 and not those connected to soundcard1 (the
onboard sound card into which the the TV card audio is connected through the
onboard CD-IN).

When I unmute the CD-IN line using kmix, the sound from the TV feed comes
through the speakers connected to the onboard. And there is no delay.

I also noticed that the backend reported the following:

NVR: Only read -1 bytes of 4096 bytes from '/dev/dsp
read audio: Input/output error

This happened even when I changed the audio to /dev/dsp1 under the frontend
setup. It then struck me that I hadn't changed the sound input of the
capture card under mythtv-setup from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1. That solved all
the issues.

What saddened me most was realising that as stated on the alsa-project
website, there is indeed no ALSA capture support for the Sound Blaster Live!
24-bit 7.1. Ah well.