[mythtv-users] Wireless Audio SPDIF pass through

raphael deimel raphael.deimel at ist.sowasvon.org
Sun Apr 16 19:51:35 UTC 2006

Mike Choy wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I am currently looking into using either Slim device or Roku as an audio
>device under SUSE to do AC3/DTS  pass through to my AV amp.
>has anyone had any experience with this, to stop me going down any blind
>alleys. I'm leaning towards the slim devices. They indicate that spidig
>passthrough is supported.
>
>My thinking is that this is the future of Linux Audio, rather than
>messing around with USB or direct connected sound cards.

The problem with streaming are the buffers. you'll probably have a big
lag, which you'll need to compensate somehow on the video side. and you
need lots of buffer for dealing with short (<1s) RF interferences on the
wireless lan. (i did audio streaming over ethernet myself some years
ago, and i've got a netgear mp101 wireless mp3 player. awful crap, btw.)

It's much cheaper and more reliable to run a coax SPDIF cable. unless,
of course, cables are a big no-no