[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 16 03:12:21 UTC 2006

Brian Wood writes:

> It's a configuration option, and since they won't give out the config
> file they used to compile their kernel they made it harder than it
> needed to be to straighten out.

That's not true.  Everything you need to rebuild their kernel is in the
.src.rpm

I've done it.  Everything is there.

> It certainly seems that they should have tested their distribution
> with a config that at least 40% of their users would be using.

An even larger percentage of their users also use Microsoft Windows.  Let's
pester Red Hat to test their software's interoperability with NTFS.

>> And, certainly, I do not see any reason why Red Hat would want to
>> encourage people to use Nvidia's warez.  In fact, their X.org
>> maintainer has stated that he was wasting a lot of time because of
>> people who run nvidia's installer, screw up x.org's default
>> configuration, and begin filing bugs against x.org without even
>> bothering to mention what they've done.
>
> Well Gentoo has right in their docs exactly how to install the nvidia
> drivers *without* screwing everything up, and the drivers are
> supported by the portage system.

That's nice, but Fedora is not Gentoo.  Fedora's mission statement is to be
a distribution that contains free software only.

If you want a distribution that plays nice with non-free software, go with
Linspire, or SUSE.

> And I have *never* understood RedHat's not including the kernel
> source, and making it a real pain to get it. Even what they call the

I don't know what you're talking about.  I have no problems grabbing the
source to Red Hat's kernel anytime I want one.

> kernel "source" is not. I want something that I can go into and type
> "make", and get the very same thing that is running  my machine,

That's the .src.rpm

> OK, I agree with you, but if I want to run FC, and run Celestia (or
> any of a large number of programs), what would you suggest that I do?
> I don't know of any option other than somebody's binary drivers.

And I want a million dollars, and a pony.  Not going to happen. FC is a
distribution that consists of free software only.  Binary-only, non-free
software is not a consideration.

>> So, those who use Nvidia's or ATI's binary drivers have absolutely
>> no standing to complain about it.
>
> No, we would have to stop buying their cards to make any impression,
> and I'm not sure that would help anyway, as long as there is an
> adequate supply of 13-year-old gaming nuts out there.

Correct, but certainly continuing to buy their stuff is guaranteed not to
make things any better, and only makes things worse, a little bit at a time.

Abstaining from binary-only ware at least keeps things from slip-siding even
further.  You can't control what others to, but at least you can prevent
your own contributions to this problem.