[mythtv-users] Mobo upgrade to support 3 DVB tuner system (previous irq problems)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 16:43:13 UTC 2006

--- Ben <debian-list at blueturtles.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>     Currently I have a "proof of concept" box MythTV
> up and running on a
> Athlon XP 1600+ /  MSI K7T266 (6380).
> Myth runs well, however I have battled with hardware
> problems from the
> start (12 months)
> I have to boot with the irqpoll kernel option or
> else it get IRQ errors.
>     It appears these are spurious irq errors. I am
> not sure if this
> related to a buggy BIOS, because I have multiple
> tuner cards saturating
> the PCI bus or something else. I have googled and
> tried all sorts of
> fixes in the BIOS (assigning IRQ, disabling serial
> ports etc.) without
> success, Finally I have had enough,  time for a new
> motherboard & CPU!
>     Any suggestions for motherboard that will be
> STABLE systems with 3
> tuner cards cards (especially from those running a
> similar systems). A
> cool & quite system would also be a bonus.  I have
> no pressing need to
> go to PCIe for the video card as my AGP nvidia
> 5200FX  for SD works
> well.  I don't want to end up in the same situation
> again.
>     Socket 754 seems to be be a winner here as it
> looks like it will
> outlast the socket 939 according to dailytech.
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1554
>
> At this point the DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb /
> sempron 3100+ looks to be
> a good combo (NF3 allows passive cooling &
> undervoltable).
>
> Your suggestions please.
>
>  Ben
>
> Typical irq error:
> irq 4: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll"
> option)
>  [<c012aadf>] __report_bad_irq+0x2b/0x69
>  [<c012acf0>] note_interrupt+0x1d3/0x203
>  [<c012a5f7>] handle_IRQ_event+0x20/0x4c
>  [<c012a6b0>] __do_IRQ+0x8d/0xcd
>  [<c0104555>] do_IRQ+0x1d/0x28
>  [<c0102f52>] common_interrupt+0x1a/0x20
>  [<c010148f>] default_idle+0x2b/0x53
>  [<c01014f7>] cpu_idle+0x40/0x5e
>  [<c02d2407>] start_kernel+0x26b/0x26d
> handlers:
> [<e096f857>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x54 [usbcore])
> [<e096f857>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x54 [usbcore])
> [<e096f857>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x54 [usbcore])
> Disabling IRQ #4

If you want a budget platform, then socket 754 may be
a good choice.  Right now, I have an Athlon64 3200+ in
a socket 754, and it's barely enough for HD.  And for
me, now that I've seen HD (on a HDTV), there's no
going back.  (Though I am in the process of setting up
a dedicated backend and frontend system to see if that
helps matters out any, as I don't want to spend money
for a new motherboard/CPU).

If you want performance or dual-core, then you have to
go with socket 939 - so, it depends on your needs.
You can get a Sempron with socket 754 for a while,
according to the article.

As to your IRQ problems - do you use USB at all on
that machine?  If not, then you might want to try
disabling it, as that is what looks like the IRQs deal
with (from your dump).  It's a something to try if you
haven't already.

-- Joe