[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Apr 15 02:31:36 UTC 2006

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>> I agree that the current ring buffer implimentation is very very very poor.
>> On average it take 10-15 seconds for video to appear after starting live tv
>> and a good 5 seconds for it to change channels. Just for giggles I loaded
>>

>  FYI this varies a LOT from user to user.  My LiveTV takes 2 seconds to start,
> and channel changes are 1.4 seconds. And yes I timed it. It use to take longer
> but after Isaac did his rewrite it. I never really use it, except for short
> tests after hardware changes to make sure I haven't messed something up :)
>
>  I don't know what it is that makes it so different from user to user but if
> someone ever does track it down it will make a lot of people happy.
>
>  And for the curious this is with PVR 250's, Nforce2 board, xp2500+ and
> 512Meg of ram. Timing from the remote frontend shows the same startup
> time but channel changes are 1.8 seconds

My channel changes take a little longer than that but not over 10
seconds unless going from the PVR500 to the HD3000 tuner. One possible
source of difference could be the theme.
I noticed that changing from Titivillus to Iulius greatly increased the
speed at which i could scroll around in mythtv's command pages (eg.
moving from Media Library to Schedule Recordings, etc.).  The Titivillus
scheme is quite a lot larger as source than the other, which may have
something to do with it.
Geoff