[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:18:32 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Felix Rubinstein <felixru at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once again, I don't want just to watch TV but instead to watch TV under
> MythTV,

I don't understand.  What benefit are you getting from watching TV under
Myth?  You're not using Myth to change channels and you're not talking about
recording stuff, just watching TV.  So why bother doing through Myth?  Just
use your TV.

what if I watch TV and switch my receiver to another channel, instead of
> seeing the new channel right away, I wait for 4 secs new channel to appear.

Right, because Myth is  *buffering* the video (about 3-4 seconds worth).  So
when you change  the channel  on your receiver it immediately starts sending
the new channel video to Myth.  This puts it directly into the buffer which
is 3-4 seconds behind what you were watching when you changed the channel.
After you've watched those 3-4 seconds in the buffer you start to see your
channel change.

People don't you ever thought that it's merely a showstopper?

Nope, never.

My point was that it's the first time I was shamed Windows outperformed
> Linux

I don't see what Windows vs. Linux has to do with this.  Myth runs on linux,
but you're complaining about the way Myth works.  That is in no way related
to what operating system Myth is running on.  If there was a windows version
of Myth it would almost definitely work the same way.  Then what?  Windows
outperforms Windows?

and why, because no one ever took some time to think about more optimal
> algorithm.

No, that's not why.  It's because most of us understand how Myth works.

The most important feature doesn't work correctly, don't you think so,

No, I don't think so.  It's hard to say what the "most important feature" of
Myth is, but I can tell you that it is most definitely NOT channel surfing
TV by skipping Myth's channel changing features.

don't you use S-Video or don't you switch channels?

Yup, I do both.

Or I should waste time to correct the code?

First of all, I'd say "change the code" not "correct the code".  You're
implying that the code is broken which it's not.  I just doesn't work the
way you want it to.  Secondly, if you want this feature so bad why would the
time be wasted?

MythTV doesn't know the channel was switched, for it it's just a stream of
> bits

Ah, but if your system was set up correctly Myth *would* know that the
channel was switched because it would be switching it based on your input.