[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 15 00:18:15 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>> Why would you want to use MythTV for viewing LiveTV of you already
>> have
>> a TV ?
>
> Because that way I don't have to dig up the other two remotes that
> would
> be involved in watching TV 'directly', plus I wouldn't be able to
> pause
> TV in case I need a bathroom break.
>
>> With a few hundred channels to choose from: with live TV I could be
>> zapping the whole evening and not see anything  or keep falling
>> into the
>> middle of a show or film.. The whole point of MythTV is you can
>> select
>> what you want to see through the EPG let the backend record it and
>> view
>> it while you have time, skipping commercial breaks and other
>> unwanted stuff.
>> Furthermore MythTV keeps my CD and Recordings/DVD-rip collection,
>> tells
>> me the weatherforecast, let me browse the web- and news sites, play
>> arcade games all in one.. Now beat that with your 'locked-in' Philips
>> HDRW720....
>
> Since you brought up websites: consider "surfing the web"; how
> would you
> like it if EVERY SINGLE LINK you clicked on presented you with a black
> screen for 10 seconds before letting you see the webpage? I bet you
> would get tired of that pretty quickly.

Obviously you are very young, or you would remember the days when you
had to wait a *lot* longer than 10 seconds for a page to load.

Somehow the web managed to survive and even grow and thrive.

Besides, I don't seem to have to wait that long to change channels,
as somebody else has said my STB takes longer to change than Myth does.