[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 15 00:08:05 UTC 2006

>On Friday 14 April 2006 19:36, Felix Rubinstein wrote:
>> I don't compain, it's just the first time I encounter a limitation in
>> Linux!
>Again, are you sure it's a limitation?
>There was a big discussion about it and all developers agree that the
>ringbuffer is needed to implement stuff like pause, save what you just
>watched and so on.
>So, if you think that this all can be done without a rungbuffer, try to
>convince one of the developpers.

Not so much "without a ringbuffer", but rather "faster". It takes about
10 seconds on my system for live TV to start. That means that myth has
somehow buffered up 300 frames of video before it starts displaying them.
That's what I would call "excessive".
Saying that this delay is "needed" for things like pausing and recording
is a cop-out, since tivo (and apparently some windows PVR software) can
do these things without a 10 second delay.

>> Once again, I don't want just to watch TV but instead to watch TV under
>> MythTV, what if I watch TV and switch my receiver to another channel,
>> instead of seeing the new channel right away, I wait for 4 secs new channel
>> to appear.
>Sorry, that's the way it works.

That's like saying "sorry, we can't fix this because it's broken"...