[mythtv-users] I Strayed! Now I want to come back, but with caveats

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 17:37:01 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Matt Mousseau <matt at amsvans.com> wrote:
> 1. Firewire recordings over the DCT6200: They regularly would crash the
> frontend. I believe it had something to do with the whole sync byte being
> messed up at the beginning of the transport stream, but I could never figure
> out a way to automate fixing it.

bug with the linux firewire drivers and some limitations in Myth
caused stream glitches that mythfrontend choked on. 0.19 should ignore
these errors now iirc. I believe the kernel bug is being worked on,
and I think some recent commits to SVN has fixed the myth side of
things.  Jim Westall would know better.

> 2. Resolutions problems with my HDTV. I have a Philips 50" Ambilight PDP
> with a native resolution of 720p. And I had one HELL of a time getting X to
> use the right resolution, it always ran over the edges! I think there may
> have been some sort of overscanning issue, or perhaps I just wasn't holding
> my tongue right while working on it. Either way I could use some serious
> help here, since getting X's resolution right is key to getting things to
> look properly.

technically HDTV's should not have overscan, but they still do, ~5%.
That said its a problem with the TV and your picture from Myth for TV
should look the same as if it came from a cable box/internal tuner.
Myth 0.19 has overscan provisions though that you can use to "shrink"
the output to fit your TV. Ideally you should get your TV tuned so you
are seeing the full 1280x720 instead of losing 5-20% per edge.

> 4. MythMusic. It is...well just plain klunky. What I did in the past was to
> have a second computer hooked up running windows & itunes...just for music.
> If I could get myth to play shared iTunes playlists from my network...that
> would be AMAZING. Is this possible? I don't want myth to share its
> library...i want it to read OTHER computer's shared itunes libraries.

sadly, noone is really working on MythMusic AFAIK. I'm hoping to
convince my apt-mate to take up this task.

--
Steve