[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a Direct DVD Burning Feature

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:40:49 UTC 2006

> What about a "Burn to DVD in real-time" feature? Pressing a button
> would cause what was being viewed on-screen to be burned to a disk,
> in more or less real time. Perhaps this could work with LiveTV and/or
> viewing a recording.

Well, considering that MythBurn is arguably  the best option currently
available for burning DVD's directly from Myth and it can be difficult to
get setup and configured correctly, I'd imagine there would be quite a lot
of work required to make this possible.  Since very few people seem to be
willing to put the effort into MythBurn who is going to develop this
feature?

Aside from that, I really don't see any benefit to burning what is currently
being viewed directly to DVD.  Remember we're talking about a DVR here.
Anything you're watching in Myth can be recorded and saved for later
watching/processing.  Since you've already got that feature, why bother with
trying to write a disc in realtime?  Doesn't make any sense.

Even if the video were just burned to a disk in "raw data" form,
> without attempting to be readable by consumer DVD players, I can see
> it as a useful feature.

What makes this useful?  How is this different from just writing the video
to the hard disk other than the fact that the data is no longer available to
Myth once you remove the DVD?

I guess it just bothers me that some consumer devices can do
> something that my Myth system can't.

While YOUR Myth system may not be able to burn DVD's some Myth systems can.
You just have to take the time to install and configure MythBurn.  That
said, I'm currently struggling with trying to get MythBurn installed and
working on my system.  No, it's not trivial.  But if you want it to "just
work" then you should go out and buy a DVR.  That's what you pay for.