[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a Direct DVD Burning Feature

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 13 23:28:36 UTC 2006

Given how many posts I see here regarding problems with MythBurn et
al, this may be a really bad idea, but:

What about a "Burn to DVD in real-time" feature? Pressing a button
would cause what was being viewed on-screen to be burned to a disk,
in more or less real time. Perhaps this could work with LiveTV and/or
viewing a recording.

There would obviously be a lot of limitations, it would probably work
best if the encoding was already in DVD-compatible form, a fast
machine would definitely help, menu structure would be limited etc.

Even if the video were just burned to a disk in "raw data" form,
without attempting to be readable by consumer DVD players, I can see
it as a useful feature.

I guess it just bothers me that some consumer devices can do
something that my Myth system can't.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org