[mythtv-users] nothing from mode2 on lirc_serial...

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:41:44 UTC 2006

Okay, so having no luck whatsoever using the Actisys IR210L with my nforce2
motherboard IR header, I decided to get an RS232 IR receiver from
http://www.zapway.de. I just got it today; I tested it successfully on my
laptop in windows on WinLIRC. The setting I used to make it work was to
indicate that it was a "DCD" device, not an RX device. I'm not sure what
that means, or how that affects my LIRC install process on Linux. If anyone
could give me some poin ters, I would be extremely grateful. As of now, I
get no response from mode2 on my mythtv box. I am using serial port 2, and
have disabled the IR header in the bios. Aside from that, here is what I
believe to be relevant information:

/etc/modprobe.d:
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install lirc_serial

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
###

# lsmod|grep lirc
lirc_serial            13792  0
lirc_dev               14820  1 lirc_serial

# ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw-r--r--  1 root root 61, 0 2006-04-13 20:36 /dev/lirc
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 0 2006-04-13 21:34 /dev/lirc0
srw-r--r--  1 root root     0 2006-04-13 22:18 /dev/lircd
prw-r--r--  1 root root     0 2006-04-13 20:36 /dev/lircm

I recompiled the lirc_serial driver to accomodate a UART 16x50 serial
driver. I'm assuming that's what's appropr5iate here. Again, any pointers
would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Jack.