[mythtv-users] Remote Record Scheduling ??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 14 03:02:01 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Stephen Boddy wrote:

> On Friday 14 April 2006 03:12, Brian Wood wrote:

>>> Why use the priviledged port and root account?!?
>>>
>>> just make it 8080:backend:80, and have a second url bookmarked for
>>> when you
>>> remotely access. (http://localhost:8080/mythweb)
>>
>> Of course, any browser can do port 8080 (slaps self on forehead).
>
> A browser can connect to any port you tell it to (by changing 8080
> in the
> url.) 1 all the way thru 65355. You just need a server at the other
> end to
> answer the request, and that server has to adhere to the http
> protocol.

I have heard tell of some browsers running in "kiosk" mode that are
locked down to just ports 80 and 8080.

>> That would solve part of the problem, since I'm directing port 80
>> traffic to another machine. I didn't want to use a non-standard port
>> because the machine at the "library" wouldn't be able to do that,
>> don't know why I didn't think of port 8080, just stupidity I guess.
>
> Similarly you can configure the server to be on whatever port you
> wish. 1 thru
> 65355. The only thing that can introduce problems (once the config
> is right)
> are firewalls and devices doing NAT. NAT will hide the address of a
> machine
> in a network. Port forwards can fix that. Firewalls will
> deliberately block
> non-standard ports. For that you have to bribe the firewall admin ;-)
>
>> Still wouldn't work form a phone though. I'm thinking more and more
>> of the "send myth an email" approach somehow.
>
> I know there are ssh console programs available for the more
> powerful phones,
> so you would be able to connect home. I'm not sure if they can do
> forwarding,
> or even if they have a sense of localhost that you could point the
> device
> browser at.
>
> There are however VPN clients for some of the phones out there. If
> you can set
> this up with your server/phone combo, then the phone is in effect
> in your
> home network, and you would access MythWeb just as you would visit
> any other
> web site on your phones browser.

I have no real need at this point, though I have played with it using
my Zaurus. I'm just thinking of what would be the most universal way
to schedule from any place, and I want to have an answer anytime
someone points out a "feature" that a TiVo, EyeTV, Sage etc. has that
Myth might appear to not have.

I was a little surprised that EyeTV does not charge a fee for their
guide service (from TitanTV) or for the remote scheduling service
that goes through the Titan web site. I suspect that TiVo makes more $
$$ from selling their guide service than from hardware.

In their FAQ, "How long will TitanTV remain free?", they say they
have a contract through 2008 and are negotiating for an extension.

i guess Titan makes money by pushing ads, and perhaps by selling
viewership data?