[mythtv-users] Sky tv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 13 22:29:35 UTC 2006

On 04/13/2006 06:21 PM, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> I am about to get parts for myth tv for backend and front end .so i am
> looking forward to my mythtv build
>  questions from a newbie
>
> I am not sure you can watch one sky channel and record another sky
> channel unless you have 2 set top boxes am i right thinking this?

Don't know Sky, but that sounds right.  Basically, if the Sky receiver
does anything more than what your capture card does (i.e. decrypts the
signal or something), then yes.  If your capture card does everything
the Sky receiver does, then you wouldn't need any STB's.

> the tv card have to be in front end box (next to sky tv set box) and
> then it gets passed onto  back end hard drive wirelessly or is it best
> wired?

TV cards go in the Myth backends and Myth frontends simply play back the
recordings.  You can have as many capture cards in a single backend as
your system supports.  I have two DISH network receivers outputting to a
single backend system with two Hauppauge PVR-x50's.

Generally, you'll want wired connections for passing recordings from the
backend to the frontend (although you might be able to make a fast
wireless connection--at least 802.11g--work).

Mike