[mythtv-users] VIA MII 1000 and PVR 150

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 20:40:33 UTC 2006

--- Jake Thompson <jake at jakethompson.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Not lloking to be deterrred from my path at this
> point, but wanted to track
> my attempt to get a working myth system.
>
> What I will be using:
>
> VIA MII 1000 Mini-ITX MoBo, C3 1G processor
> 1G RAM
> 120G HD
> PVR-150 (Model 1045)
> Using the onboard unichrome S-Vid and S/PDIF out.
> (Not too sure if straight
> Xorg VIA drivers is enough for XvMC or if I should
> use Openchrome's)
> Morex Venus Case (For future expansion aka, more
> hard drive)
> Fedora Core 5
> ATRPM's for myth-suite(I may end up recompilig some
> packages to more meet my
> needs)
>
> This is not here to start a flame war, I have a very
> extensive linux
> background and I am set in whatI have chosen(mostly
> because it is what I had
> laying around)
>
> If you have direct experience with any of this, I
> would love to hear it.
>
> I will be documenting my experience and hope to help
> out in anyone elses
> future endever with a setup like/similar to this.
>
> Thanks and wish me luck,
> Jake T.

I used a similar setup in the past, and then I
relegated my MII 10000 to a file server when I was
dissatisfied with it.  My dissatisfaction wasn't over
how well the Epia functioned for MythTV (it worked
fairly well for that), it was because I couldn't play
my favorite MAME games on it.

You pretty much will have to use XvMC (I was able to
barely play back SD video without it, using 90% of the
CPU with the occasional stutter).  I haven't kept up
on the various Unichrome projects, but you want the
one with XvMC (as I believe that one of them took it
out).  For HD (you didn't say), forget it, it won't
happen, XvMC or not.

Keep in mind that I did this around the time of MythTV
0.17, so things may have changed since then.

-- Joe