[mythtv-users] Transcode or Nuvexport issue from mpg (mpeg) to avi

Giacomo Shimmings giacomo_shimmings at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:39:23 UTC 2006

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Mpg files from Myth v0.19 (ATrpms
latest) and a Hauppauge Nova-t DVB card - I'm using Fedora Core 4.  I'm
recording programs using the default settings for transcoding and advert
detection, and haven't changed any of these transcoding settings from
the installation.

The Mpeg files play great on my PC across the network on on the local
file system but cannot get them to play on any application on my Mac
(either jittery frames, no audio or the application freezes).

I installed the nuvexport RPM manually from here:

http://forevermore.net/files/nuvexport/nuvexport-0.3-0.20060410.svn.src.
rpm

and ran the program using ffmpeg, which created an Xvid that can play on
my mac, but the PC barfs at the xvid video codec (using latest stable
xvid 1.1).  Oddly, the Xvid plays great on the Mac using the Xvid for
Mac codec.

If I run nuvexport using the --transcode flag I get an xvid file that
both the pc and mac can play, but the image looks like the red green and
blue is out of synch and the colour bands diagonally across the screen
making the video unwatchable.

I guess what I am asking is, am I doing something that I shouldn't?

Or, is there something else I should be doing?

Or better yet, any success storys from other people that have
successfully played Mpegs on their OSX mac or transcoded to Xvid with a
similar set up to mine.

Cheers!