[mythtv-users] OT? Hardware Differences

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 13 18:32:03 UTC 2006

Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Thursday 13 April 1989 18:27, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>Stephen Boddy wrote:
>>
>>>Well one hardware difference is that your computer has the system time
>>>apparently set to 1989!!! That or you're a time traveller...
>>
>>Ahh, but this is the laptop which does travel a lot.
>>
>>The problem drives are in the desktop. The second drive is over-kill
>>there are I intend on moving it, but it is slow...for no discernible
>>reason.
>

> Erm. Sorry, wasn't really paying that much attention, but I was trying to be a
> smart-arse about the fact that every(? but quite a lot at least) e-mail you
> send to this list has a date of 1989.

Well today, and maybe late yesterday...

> So either:
> a) you haven't yet twigged that your clock/system is badly misconfigured,
Nope, just forgotten~

> b) the battery for the rtc in your laptop is dead and you can't be bothered to
> put the time right every time you reboot

That describes the junk Pentium 200 computer at home... the one with
Windows 98 on it that my wife uses about once a month.
,
> (You could set-up a script to try and sync the time to an ntp server when it
> sees a network connection)

For whatever reason, I cannot find an ntpclient which will actually
install and work. What are you using?

> or c) you really are living in the past!

My wife thinks so!

> Could you please correct this, or my OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is
> going to start kicking in!
Please check the foregoing header.

Geoff