[mythtv-users] XBOX delay on video startup normal?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 03:23:25 UTC 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 18.45, George Nassas wrote:

> On 12-Apr-06, at 6:53 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>> On Apr 12, 2006, at 09.12, Ryan Oleston wrote:
>>
>>> When I press the Watch TV button on my xbox frontend, it takes a
>>> good 10-15 seconds for TV
>>> to appear. The same thing happens when I watch previously recorded
>>> video.
>>
>> I have something similar going on, except it's a delay of more
>> like five to seven seconds.
>
> Me too.
>
>>  It could just be the amount of time it takes the Backend to start
>> recording, then have mplayer initiate a networked link to that
>> file, fill the cache, then play.
>
> Besides protocol overhead there's also the issue of swapping in the
> relevant code for whatever you're doing.

Oh, duh! I totally forgot! Anyone else remember that the XBox has
only 64 MB of RAM? It's got to swap out stuff in RAM to make room for
the player, OSD, etc.! *smacks self for forgetting*

> On my xbox there's a noticeable delay when I move off the opening
> menu item. In that case it's just executing a different part of
> libmythui, most of which is already loaded. Probably viewing a
> recording has to do an initial load of much more code.

Probably swapping. I remember that my iBook was hells slow before I
got my RAM upgrade. The use of swap space is slowing everything down.
Taking longer to load LiveTV is the usual LiveTV delay, except
exaggerated because of that swap issue.