[mythtv-users] XBOX delay on video startup normal?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 23:45:11 UTC 2006

On 12-Apr-06, at 6:53 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2006, at 09.12, Ryan Oleston wrote:
>
>> When I press the Watch TV button on my xbox frontend, it takes a good
>> 10-15 seconds for TV
>> to appear. The same thing happens when I watch previously recorded
>> video.
>
> I have something similar going on, except it's a delay of more like
> five to seven seconds.

Me too.

>  It could just be the amount of time it takes the Backend to start
> recording, then have mplayer initiate a networked link to that file,
> fill the cache, then play.

Besides protocol overhead there's also the issue of swapping in the
relevant code for whatever you're doing. On my xbox there's a
noticeable delay when I move off the opening menu item. In that case
it's just executing a different part of libmythui, most of which is
already loaded. Probably viewing a recording has to do an initial load
of much more code.

- George