[mythtv-users] I need someone in Indiana to record a program for me - WHMB TV-40

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 12 23:08:59 UTC 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2006, at 13.00, Tony Chiaffredo wrote:
>
>>         I'm looking for someone in the Indiana area to record a
>> program
>> for me. And then make it available for me to download.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that is legal...

It is almost certainly not, assuming the program is copyrighted.

>> I'm sure
>> you can figure this out from the description below, but my younger
>> brother
>> Paul is being interviewed on a program being broadcast in
>> the Indiana area.
>
> Can't he just ask for a copy of the interview? Or can he find someone
> there to record it for you?

Normally a station will provide a courtesy copy to anyone who was a
guest on the show.

There are commercial outfits who will provide a copy of just about
any broadcast program for a fee. These companies are normally used by
News organizations, Attorneys, prosecutors etc. The problem is that
while the fee is "reasonable" for commercial operations it is very
steep for normal consumers (on the order of several hundred dollars).

The advantage is that by going through such providers you can be sure
that all the legal niceties are taken care of. Normally the price
depends on the intended use, with courtroom evidence use costing less
than commercial uses for example. Sometimes TV stations will obtain
copies of competing shows as an example of a "commercial" use.

I can't recall a company name at the moment, if you really need it
let me know and I can look it up, but I would really suggest the
program guest simply obtain a courtesy copy.